What: The Irish Red Cross and Age Action has publicly launched a COVID-19 Hardship Fund to respond to the immediate needs of older people in vulnerable situations across Ireland experiencing additional hardship as a result of the COVID-19 health crisis.
How: The Irish Red Cross and Age Action has raised funds to provide additional assistance to older and vulnerable people around Ireland who are experiencing hardship as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic by making once-off grants, up to a maximum of €500, per person/household affected.
Who Can Apply: Older people in need of assistance, family members supporting an older person and carers of older people, social workers and local voluntary organisations or community groups providing direct assistance to individuals within this target group.
What Can I Apply For: Any practical needs that are adding to your hardship as a direct result of the COVID-19 pandemic and increased social distancing restrictions of cocooning for over 70s. This can include costs of the following examples and other needs as they arise within the scope of this fund;
- Small household maintenance, repairs and safety improvements
- Food and basic provisions and associated delivery costs
- Upgraded or New Small Appliances (fridge, freezer, washing machine, TV, cooker, etc.)
- Providing Digital Technology Equipment, for example, smartphones or tablets
- Contribution towards increased energy costs or telephone bills
- Contribution towards additional home or personal security costs
- Contribution towards additional travel costs for essential reasons (medical appointments, etc.)
How Do I Apply: The COVID-19 Hardship Fund Application Form is available online at the Irish Red Cross and Age Action websites or you can contact our offices to request a form by contacting us at;
Phone: The Irish Red Cross at 01 6424600 or Age Action at 01 475 6989